Friday, March 9, 2012

Anger

For anger, I found this really cute book.  At the first, I talked to the kids about the lesson we talked about last year regarding the FIRST FEELING.  We reviewed what the wrapper represents as well as the chocolate.  I then introduced this book and challenged the students to look for all of the first feelings that Horace gets.  As I read the story, I stopped and had the students point out the first feeling (there are at least 5 different feelings).





After I read the story, I asked the students these questions:

1.  What was Horace mad about?
2.  What was his first feeling(s)?
3.  Why did Horace hiss at his mom?  Growled?
4.  Why did Horace feel mean?
5.  What does the pot represent?  Salt?
6.  Why did they scream and stick their tongue out at the pot?
7.  What does it mean to boil with anger?
8.  How did Horace feel at the end of the story?
9.  Which ways do people normally do with their anger or meanness?
10.  Could Horace have done something different?

To incorporate the story with our own lives, I have the students really think about how we are like the pot of water.  What makes us get to our boiling point.  The salt represents the bad things that are added to our pot that helps us boil faster.  Then we talk about ways to release the anger without hurting yourself, someone else, or something that will make a bigger problem.


No comments: