Friday, March 9, 2012

Activity: Things we can't/can control


I used this activity after I taught a lesson on Anger.  I got the idea from 104 Activities That Build, by Alanna Jones (pg. 266, Out Of Control).

I changed the rules a little bit to fit more to my needs, so this is what I did:

I reviewed our last lesson about Anger.  I explain that we are going to play a game that has to do with managing our anger. 

I split the class into 2 groups.  I have 2 buckets full of prizes/candy and a pair of big dice for each.  I explain to the students that for the 1st round, I will give them 7-8 minutes to get as many turns as they can to roll a double.  Should they get a double, that person gets a prize.  When the time is up, I ask:

1.  What was fair about this game?
2.  What was unfair about it?
3.  What control do we have over the dice?
4.  Are we guarunteed a prize?


For the second round, the rules change.  Still, a prize is given when a double is rolled, but instead of the prize being issued to the roller, the prize goes to everyone else.  The second round ends when the first and only double is rolled.  Then I ask:

1.  Was there anyone who didn't get a prize at all?  If so, ask them how they feel. 
2.  Is it the end of the world since they didn't get a prize?

Then we discuss what things in life we can control versus the things we cannot control. 

I then ask the students:
1.  What can we learn from this activity?
2.  How does this apply to our lives?


No comments: