Monday, March 21, 2011

Perspectives

Ok, so I absolutely love this book and my students love it, too!  A fellow collegue suggested this book to me a few years ago and after I bought the book, I immediately started pondering what I could do with it.  I taught a lesson on PERSPECTIVES a couple of years ago and had so much fun with it.

Here is what I did:



I began having a discussion with the students about what having a perspective means, what it does, how it feels, and what it has to do with other people. I read the story and then I asked the questions:

Why did the animals think the bat was crazy?
Who is correct? The bat or the animals?
Is there other ways to see things? (Giraff point of view, Elphant, lion, goat, rhino, owl)

At the end of the lesson, I had the students draw a picture of a bat standing on a branch or on a rock in a cave.  Then when they were finished, I had them turn their picture around and we had another little dicussion about what they experienced.

I taught the same lesson from Kindergarten all the way to 6th grade.  All of them loved it!

I was at a different school the last time I taught this lesson, so I am very excited to teach this lesson again. I will be teaching this lesson next week, so for this week, I have completed my bulletin board to keep the kids wondering...





Thank you Tawna, you inspire me!

No comments: