Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentines Lesson: Avoiding Hurtful Words

This lesson turned out really well and the kids get it!

Object lesson:
First, I start out by cutting out a heart while discussing with them the difference between hurtful words and nice words. I then hold up the heart and ask them if this looks like a healthy heart. Then I ask them to think of words that may hurt a heart. With each suggestion, I make a fold in the heart until I can't fold it anymore.
Then I ask the students: Does this look like a healthy heart now? What has damaged it? Would you like to make someone's heart feel like this heart looks?
Then I ask them what things could we do to mend the heart? As the students are making suggestions (apologize, ask someone to be their friend, and etc.) I unfold each fold with every suggestion. When the heart is all unfolded again, I ask them if the heart is back to normal? They say no. I ask what is different? Then I proceed to explain to them that we can't unsay words or take words back and with every hurtful thing we say or do to someone else, there will be a scar that is left. The only way to not leave scars is to not say hurtful things.

Literature:
Then I read the book,

I challenge the students to look for hurtful things that might damage a heart.

Activity:
I give every student a half sheet of red paper. They cut and crumple their own heart, paste it into their Counseling Journal. Title their page Avoiding Hurtful Words and then write "Don't wrinkle somebody's heart!"

Before I leave the classroom, I tell the students I will leave the wrinkled heart in their classroom to remind them to not say hurtful things. Most teachers will use a magnet and leave it on their whiteboard.

No comments: